Awards Honor Member Law Firms for Providing Critical Pro Bono Legal Services and Support to Social Entrepreneurs
(Washington, DC, May 7, 2021) The 12th Annual Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Awards were announced during the 2021 Lex Mundi Virtual Annual Conference. These awards honor Lex Mundi member law firms that have provided critical pro bono legal services – helping to strengthen the global rule of law, support the global social entrepreneurship movement and improve lives and communities around the world.
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation (the “Foundation”) was proud to recognize the following award recipients:
- Basham, Ringe y Correa, S.C., Lex Mundi member for Mexico
- Bowmans, Lex Mundi member for South Africa
- Faegre Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP, Lex Mundi member for USA, Indiana and Minnesota
- Houthoff, Lex Mundi member for the Netherlands
- Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas & Co., Lex Mundi member for India
“Lex Mundi member firms are critical allies supporting social entrepreneurs’ great efforts. They help these organizations to start, grow, and achieve their powerful missions. The 2021 honorees demonstrate how members of the Lex Mundi Network are using their pro bono resources, time, and expertise to make a tremendous impact with many of the world’s leading social entrepreneurs. Our member firm recipients, leading law firms in their jurisdictions, are committed to growing and strengthening the global pro bono culture,” said the Foundation’s Managing Director, Isis Bous.
Examples of the diverse group of social entrepreneurs supported by this year’s honorees, as well as other firms within Lex Mundi’s global network, include:
- Grillo: improving resiliency from earthquakes and saving lives through its proprietary technology of sensors and AI-powered earthquake detection systems.
- Ilara Health: providing affordable diagnostic equipment to patients and healthcare providers and partnering with more than 130 clinics to provide access to lifesaving point of care diagnostic tools to thousands of patients across Kenya.
- Institute for Climate and Peace: advancing effective and inclusive processes to build peaceful and climate-resilient futures for the well-being of all.
- Thaki: advancing digital inclusion and bridging learning gaps by providing laptops, pre-loaded with educational content, to refugees and underserved children.
- Oorja: deploying smart mini-grids powered by biomass gasification and solar PV to provide clean, reliable and affordable electricity to local businesses, low-income households and farmers in rural communities in India.
Currently in its 15th year of service, Lex Mundi member firms have provided critical pro bono support to more than 800 social entrepreneurs on more than 1,900 projects through the Foundation. This support has enabled social entrepreneurs to deepen their impact and improve communities and lives around the world.
About the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation
The Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit affiliate of Lex Mundi. The Foundation’s mission is to engage Lex Mundi’s global network of leading independent law firms to support and empower those working to bring about high impact and sustainable change that improves communities and lives. Lex Mundi lawyers provide critical pro bono legal services to the world’s leading social entrepreneurs.
About Lex Mundi
Lex Mundi is the world’s leading network of independent law firms delivering consistent, high-quality advice that is critical to solving complex cross-border challenges. Our carefully vetted, and continuously reviewed, top-tier member firms uphold the highest-level service standards while offering preferred access to more than 22,000+ lawyers worldwide in more than 125 countries. Supported by client-focused methods, innovative technologies, joint learning and training, member firms collaborate across borders and industries to deliver joined-up solutions focused on real business results for clients.
Through Lex Mundi Equisphere, our innovative service delivery model, clients have the ability to assemble an ideal international legal team, with the best lawyers in the jurisdictions that match their unique footprint, flexed to their most significant legal challenges. With Equisphere, clients benefit from high-performance cross-border solutions for restructurings, transactions, disputes, investigations, and risk assessment challenges, while benefiting from greater manageability of budgets and milestones.
Lex Mundi member law firms are located throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and North America. Through our non-profit affiliate, the Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation, our members also provide pro bono legal assistance to social entrepreneurs around the globe.
For more information, please visit www.lexmundi.com and www.lexmundiprobono.org.
Isis Bous David Sanders
Managing Director Senior Advisor, Marketing and Communications
Lex Mundi Pro Bono Foundation Lex Mundi
+1.202.297.2676 +44.788 423 4008